Diving in Tulamben
Diving in Tulamben
Although the USAT Liberty shipwreck is the main attraction for divers at Tulamben there are several other great sites. At the eastern end is the famous Tulamben Drop-Off, a sheer wall teeming with marine life. Further around there are vast slopes and rock formations dropping into the deep and the reef in the main bay has been a favorite for some of the world’s top photographers for many years.
All of this coupled with very little current, makes absolutely perfect conditions for the last dives of the open water course the whole of the Advanced Open Water Course as well as many Specialty Courses – Underwater Photography, Wreck or one of the best Night Specialty dives most people will do in there lives! It’s also a great place to stay too! All dives sites listed here are shore diving entry and exit.
Visibility 15m – 30m+
Depth up to 40m.
The Tulamben wreck
Here lays the world renowned shipwreck of the USAT Liberty, a steam cargo ship built in the USA. During WW2 she was torpedoed by the Japanese on January 11 1942, just off the Lombok strait. Fortunately for divers she did not sink and was towed to the north east shore of Bali to Tulamben, there she was stripped of everything valuable.
Bali’s largest volcano, Gunung Agung, erupted in 1963, pushing her into the water, around 40 meters from the beach. Making this a great shore dive, especially for those that may have had a period of inactivity during those winter months back at home and want to get back into diving gently. The whole of the shipwreck is covered in corals and a great variety of fish life, which are relatively tame to. The school of Jacks are normally found around the stern, ‘Frank!’ our friendly Barracuda is often found in the area just watching the divers and occasionally we find pygmy seahorses on the sea fans- a truly spectacular dive!
Drop off is often referred to as one of the most spectacular dives in Bali. The black sand fades out and makes way for a beautiful wall dropping off far below out of sight. The wall is covered in both hard and soft coral with the occasional sea fan hiding and protecting a huge range of marine life from colourful nudibranchs to the occasional octopus.
Just a 2 second walk from our base at Matahari resort in Tulamben- walk out of the hotel and into the sea!CoralGardensprovides a wealth of underwater marine life from schools of large sweetlips and other reef fish to the occasional wandering reef tip shark. Aside from the beautiful natural coral there is an artifical coral structure in the shape of a small airoplane! Often all kinds of interesting critters can be found protected in the artificial reef.
Our prices ink. pick-up around Sanur, Kuta or Nusa Dua, Snacks & Drinks, Lunch, Certified Divemaster, Equipment rent. Take a look at our price list page for updated trip prices.
Dive the USAT liberty wreck in Tulamben at night and get the best out of your Bali night diving. Book an overnight and get to see the Tulamben wreck at night and the next day and save your self some transportation time and dive some of the near by dive destinations such as Amed, Seraya, Kubu, Candi dasa or Padang Bai contact us to setup a custom dive safari in Bali with overnights and night dives, we arrange everything for you!
Additional information about diving with Crystal Divers.
- All our dive guides are Certified PADI Divemasters or Instructors.
- We have a 20 year safety record and we intend to keep it. Your safety is our primary concern.
- We always travel with 100% Oxygen on our trips.
- When you book with us please let us know if you are using the DIN system. We can handle both DIN/YOKE valves.
- If you are prone to seasickness, please inform your dive guide and we will provide you with remedies.
- If you have not been diving in the passed year out policy is that you do a Scuba Refresher. Read more about the new PADI ReActivate.
- You need to be physically fit when diving, you will have to fill out and sign a medical form when ever you are doing a course or program with Crystal Divers. This you can download from us.
- Our prices are inclusive of hotel transfer, lunch, soft drinks and snacks through out the dive day, certified inwater guide, rental equipment (tank, weights, bcd, reg, fins, mask, snorkel and a short wetsuite)
- If you have your own equipment (except tank and wights) we offer you 10% off on the original price.
- If you have any additional questions please don’t hesitate to contact us for more information.